Sunday, February 15, 2009

India's economy will be 3rd by 2025

I read the article in one of the most popular daily of the country and the sources were seemingly reliable.

I googled a little about it and I got thousands of sites stating that India's economy will surpass Japan to become 3rd in the world by 2025 and US will be sandwiched between China and India.

I was stunned for a moment. I just tried to feel the growth of my own country. I just wanted to go out of my place to see if really something happened last night, may be some miracle.My conscious simply refused to believe whatever statistics and trends that were being shown by the great economists and the big promises that were written by editors. But even then I was feeling happy thinking that may be there is an India somewhere that is growing.

I didn't know how we, the people of India (the biggest democracy), are growing at this pace without even realizing any changes. I wondered how our country is rising without its people rising. Do we really have that money, are we really that rich, is this the meaning of "INDIA SHINING".

Every time I wanted to convince myself that we are about to become rich in just 16 years from now, my stomach felt butterflies in it. But the only thoughts came to my mind were the empty vessels of the citizens, their half filled or fully empty stomachs. I am not talking about a minor part of my country's population - they constitute 30 percent of this country. I thought about the nearly 50% of the population which is still illiterate. And among the literates too there are many who are no better than the illiterates; the only thing that they can do is count and attest their signature.

I wondered how my nation was about to become rich in the near future and from where this hype is being generated. How does our government actually plan to give food, water, sanitary facilities and education to the poor. How do they plan to construct roads, better railways and a good structural society for the middle class. How do they plan to fight terror and even the self-formed moral police. Are these plans ready, are are they in effect; if yes then why can't I see them.

Our people are getting killed daily by bureaucrats, politicians or by the rich of the country, our lives are described as the life in a rooster-coup and people not only appreciate it but they say that this is the real India. Then which is the India that is going to be rich, is it virtual?

No, my friend it is the India of the rich, it is the India of those politicians with their big bellies. Now I realized, India's "economy" will overtake Japan's "economy". That does not mean that we will be a developed country or that we will be rich. It simply means that the rich will get ever richer. Is this the glorious India our politicians talk about? But we can not blame them. In a democracy we can only stand against the system. And yes we have the right to stand.

The rich people are only rich because of the poor India, they are rich because of the cheap labor in our nation. They never want Bihar to get educated, they don't want UP to flourish; they do not want the people of this country to get the right to education. All they want is a source of cheap labor to make "INDIA SHINE". How do you think Tata steel overtook the giant "Corus", bigger than its own size. It was not only good management but also the cheap labor of our nation.

These are the views shared by most of the educated youth of this society but even then we are sleeping. We find ourselves helpless, we don't find leaders who can stand against the existing system, we lack the courage, we lack the respect for ourselves and we lack the dignity of being Indians.

But I am hopeful that society will rise and our nation will be developed in the sense it should be. The development which the people of this country can feel.

No comments:

Post a Comment